Do you need equipment to help you around the home?

Our self-assessment tool helps you to find and buy equipment that can make it easier for you to live independently at home if you have difficulties with:sensory needs

  • getting in and out of your home
  • getting upstairs
  • getting washed or bathed
  • getting to the toilet
  • food preparation

Go to where you will be guided through a step-by-step self-assessment to find and buy equipment.

If you need to talk to someone in person about this, please contact Community Health and Social Care Direct. The service is open Monday to Friday, 8am until 5pm and can be contacted as follows:
Phone: 0191 278 8377 Fax: 0191 2788312

Community Care Alarm Service (Telecare)

The Community Care Alarm Service provides support services which keep people safe. Services enable you to live confidently and independently, and to call for help, when you have fallen, feel unsafe, or unwell at any time of day or night, every day of the year. We also have sensors which can call for help in the case of fire, floods, or extremes of temperature.

Our services can work alongside other care organisations, giving you complete peace of mind so that you can stay in your own home for longer - with our support many people can avoid going into residential care.

Depending on your age and circumstances, you may be able to receive services for free. For a no obligation assessment, please visit the Community Care Alarm Service web page.

Need adaptations to your home?

If you live in a council house, we can assess your needs and ask Your Homes Newcastle to make adaptations to your home. There will be no charge for the work. If it is not possible or reasonable to make alterations then the option of rehousing may be considered. Click here to find out more about Your Homes Newcastle adaptations service.

If you live in your own home or in a privately rented property and need major adaptations we can assess you to see what help you need. You may be able to get a grant towards the cost of the work. Find out more about the Disabled Facility Grant.

For an assessment contact Community Health and Social Care Direct:
Phone: 0191 278 8377
Textphone: 0191 278 8359

Molineux Street NHS Centre

Molineux Street
Newcastle upon Tyne NE6 1SG

08.30 - 18.00pm Mon to Fri
Closed 12.30 - 13.30 on Thur

Prescriptions 0191 275 5742

Shieldfield Health Centre

Stoddart Street
Newcastle upon Tyne NE2 1AL

08.45 - 17.15 Mon to Fri
Closed each day 12.30- 13.30

Prescriptions 0191 275 5742

We provide family doctor services to Jesmond, Heaton, Quayside, Shieldfield, Newcastle City Centre, Gosforth, Byker, Walker, St Antony's, Killingworth, Wallsend, Longbenton, Battle Hill

All calls to the practice are recorded for training and monitoring purposes